Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Radian diaphragms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Radian diaphragms

    Are these a good quality and good sounding diaphragm or should they be avoided?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Radian diaphragms

    No.

    No.

    YES!
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member lowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Radian diaphragms

    Jeez Todd, could you please stop beating around the bush?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Radian diaphragms

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    No.

    No.

    YES!
    I always thought the Radians were supposed to be an acceptable replacement (better than the Asian knock offs)...... doesn't Radian even have an Altec connection? ....... one of the main players having worked/designed for Altec, or something like that?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Radian diaphragms


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Radian diaphragms

    I will have to disagree with Todd..they are not bad. I have used dozens of them.WAY better than the imported stuff.


    I would recommend them for SR use though. They are more like the Symbiotik fram. Frankly, they sound better than the Symbiotik.

    I do not rate them as highly for home use.

    OTOH the Radian JBL replacement sounds closer to Altec than a JBL...JBL guys don't like them, many other people do.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Radian diaphragms

    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Are these a good quality and good sounding diaphragm or should they be avoided?
    - Radians cost as much or more ( from P.E ) / when compared to GPAs' diaphragms / so why would one bother ? And Radian doesn't offer a remagging service .

    294 724 s

    P.E.s Radian 1228-8 diaphragm

    - I bought a single specimen ( 1228-8 @ 2001 ) / & it doesn't come anywhere close to measuring correctly ( I didn't know about GPA at the time ) . Maybe Canada gets all the second rate stuff / I don't know .

    - IMHO, Radians' target market is the enthusiast who doesn't have measuring equipment and prefers to believe ( in whatever is most convenient for that moment ) .

    >< cheers

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Radian diaphragms

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - Radians cost as much or more / than GPAs' diaphragms / so why would one bother ? And Radian doesn't offer a remagging service .
    I never checked, but I beleive that at one time Radian diaphragms were cheaper......maybe not now. Plus if your buying diaphragms you don't get remagging...... you get remagging if you send your drivers in for diaphragms.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Radian diaphragms

    - Here's a recent FR of the Radian that I referred to .

    3

    - The FR of the Radian ( in a 902 body ) was accomplished after a bunch of finaggling-about ( & I certainly do test as I go ).

    - The locating pins on the 802 body meant this was as good as it got ( I didn't drill out or otherwise expand this diaphragms locating holes / this fitup followed that of the 902 ).


    >< cheers

    ps; Robert , do you want to buy this diaphragm, cheap ?

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Radian diaphragms

    I have to pretty much agree with and parrot Old Guy's sentiments, definitely a step up from the symbiotiks with significantly more HF extension.

    For hifi use Radian makes a very good sounding and reliable replacement phragm for several other makes of driver, NOT Altecs however. I prefer them in Emilar and JBL small format drivers too.

    I think Earl K's FR plot pretty much says it all, thanks for posting.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Radian diaphragms

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post

    For hifi use Radian makes a very good sounding and reliable replacement phragm for several other makes of driver, NOT Altecs however. I prefer them in Emilar and JBL small format drivers too.
    - Are you able to post some FR curves for your Radians in either a JBL driver or an Emilar ? ( hipassed only / on the horn of your choice )

    >< Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.